Site icon Emma & Nathan's Travels

“Roadtrip day 21…Byron Bay…”


We woke early on the Saturday to head down to Byron Bay. After breakfast, we gathered up our things, loaded the car and set off on our way. It was about a three hour trip down to Byron Bay.We finally arrived and parked. Yet again the weather wasn’t fantastic but the views were remarkable! However, I was so NOT prepared for the steeps climbs, nor the amount of steps. The track we walked was the Cape Byron Track. Wow, it was literally a continual undulation of up and down, up and down. After finally reaching the beach, naively thinking it would be an easy route up, we then started climbing again up steep hills and steps. The views back to the beach were beautiful even in the crappy weather!We finally reached the most eastern point of mainland Australia, hot and sweaty after manoeuvring our way round plenty of huge lizards. Still, the views were amazing! As with any place like this, there were the obligatory locks of loved up couples from around the world. The lighthouse itself was quite cute in the way it appeared short and stumpy. It wasn’t a towering tall one like some we had seen. It is however, Australia’s most powerful lighthouse. Built in 1901, it stands 74 feet tall and attracts 500,000 visitors per year. It is an especially popular place for whale watching. As we got back down the first lot of steps from the lighthouse, a lady pointed out some manta rays swimming in the surf below us. They were too far away to capture on our phones, however, we were then lucky enough to have a pod of dolphins swim right by us! They kept getting pushed close to shore as the waves were ferocious, but they were majestic to watch! We’ve been so lucky to see dolphins a few times in the wild here! The sun decided to push its way through the clouds on our descent back down to Cape Byron so the views we had on the way up were even more breathtaking as we worked our way down to Cape Byron, then back up the other side and back down again to the car park. The walk was tough-ish and at times very narrow, but it was totally worth it! The car park was $4 an hour though!We we’re finished in Byron Bay and after picking up a $5 dominos pizza, we continued our journey towards Sydney. The hardest part was trying to find somewhere for us to stay that night. In the end we had to drive about 3 hours and located Lions Park RV site, which was basically a car park on the side of the river.

Trucks were going over the bridge for most of the night but the sunset was simply stunning. We sat trying to get the mosquitos out of the car before they ate us alive any more than they already had, purely by having the door open for about five minutes! They’re persistent little buggers! So, covered in itchy bites yet again, we sat and watched the rugby where England lost to Australia in an awesome game of rugby league, then proceeded to fall asleep in the car to catch a few hours sleep.

Until next time…

Exit mobile version