Happy New Year everyone!!!! What better way to start 2019, than with a Sunshine Blogger Award Nomination…
Out of the blue, Nilla from
nominated me for the Sunshine Blogger Award. It makes me so happy that my travel blog brings happiness into peoples days, even if I am very bad at keeping to schedule these days! Thank you so much for the nomination Nilla!!
This is my third nomination since starting my blog almost two years ago, and whilst I may not have the most followers or subscribers, I absolutely love writing about my adventures with Nathan, friends and family. I have even turned my blogs into ‘blooks’ and they are the most treasured memories I own…
An award also helps to give bloggers a little more exposure and a chance to share more information about the nominated blogger. So, thank you again Nilla!
- Thank the blogger who nominated you and link their blog so everyone can visit.
- Answer the 11 questions asked by the blogger who nominated you.
- Nominate 11 other bloggers and ask them 11 new questions.
- Notify the nominees by commenting on their blog post.
- List the rules and display the Award logo on your blog post.
My answers to Nilla’s questions…
1. For how long have you been blogging?
I started my blog on April 23rd 2017, the night before my other half and I embarked on 8 months of travel together. One of my best friends had just turned up with some cards for us with quotes in. We had the most amazing send off from friends and family so I opened up WordPress and started writing.
2. What do you do if/when you suffer from Writer’s Block?
I read other peoples blogs. I had so much drive to blog whilst away. I’d sit in the passenger seat of the car as Nathan drove, or I’d write whilst he was asleep, eager to hear the comments from those back home, and strangers. Since returning home, despite being lucky enough to embark on many holidays and adventures, I struggle writing sometimes. Whether it is because life gets in the way or sometimes, I haven’t the energy to do so, I pop open the reader, start reading for inspiration, especially those I read religiously, and 9 times out of 10, I can start writing, even if it is just a sentence.
3. What goals have you set for your blog in 2019?
I would love to get a higher amount of subscribers, whether that is through my better writing or word of mouth. I love writing, and predominantly I write for myself to remind myself of the amazing things we have done, but I would love to reach more people. I have a lot of views, but this isn’t transported into followers so I would like to bridge that gap.
4. Where do you see your blog 2 years from now?
I would just be happy to have been luck enough to go on adventures and write about them. There is this dream about being a travel writer and monetizing my blog, but I am a way off from that yet.
5. What do you love most about writing?
That I become so immersed in it sometimes I can forget completely where I am.
6. Do you prefer to travel solo or with someone?
Having only been on one solo holiday, I can’t comment on this. However I wouldn’t be opposed to either. I imagine traveling alone is invigorating and empowering!
7. Do you think Ghost blogging is unethical?
I’m not going to lie, I have no idea what ghost blogging is
8. How do you create and cultivate relationships for your blog?
I remain true to myself and don’t try to be something I’m not. I read other blogs, provide comments and act on feedback left on my own blog.
9. Is your blog self-hosted or on the free WP platform and why did you go this way?
My blog is self-hosted. Started off as a free WordPress blog and I have upgraded to business so I can upload unlimited amounts of photos etc. I didn’t want to be restricted by anything.
10. What social media platform gives you the most exposure for your blog?
I believe Facebook does. I have just created a new page purely for my posts that people can find/follow etc so that I don’t overload my personal FB with posts. Also FB has just upgraded its privacy settings so you need a ‘page ‘ to be able to connect.
11. Any travel plans for 2019?
I have been lucky enough to visit Egypt so far, and go skiing over New Year with my best friends. I am hoping to visit parts of Asia with Nathan at the end of the year, but we are now being grown ups and saving for a house.
My 11 questions for my 11 nominees…
- What inspired you to start blogging?
- What do you do in your spare time?
- What is your biggest achievement outside of blogging?
- Who takes the photos on your blog?
- Is your blog your hobby or profession?
- Where do you write your blogs to?
- What was your favourite destination of 2018?
- Do you have people guest post on your blog?
- Where are most of your readers from?
- Have you any plans for travel in 2019?
- Where do you see your blog in 5 years time?
My 11 nominees…
- https://alisonanddon.com/ – Adventures in Wonderland – A fantastic website from two retired people living life to the absolute fullest
- https://gritstravels.home.blog – Adventures Of Josh and Lauren! Relatively new to blogging check out their page for laughs, photos and great storytelling
3. https://lovetravellingblog.com – Another awesome travel blog with amazing photos and stories to accompany it
4. https://littlefears.co.uk – Whimsical and humorous takes to keep you entertained and moved each and every day
5. https://yalewanders.com – Seeking out hidden gems all over the world
6. https://julestoldme.com – Whirlwind sightseeing or spending longer exploring? That’s the question!
7. https://imageearthtravel.com – A fantastic travel and photography blog. I know they recognised me but honestly this is is such a fantastic blog I couldn’t not nominate them
8. https://careergappers.com – Enough said really. Great posts!!
9. https://jontynz.com – Handy guide to places all over the world!
10. https://ploddingthroughthepresidents.com – Pretty self explanatory. If you love American history, you’ll love this blog!
11. https://sustainabilitea.wordpress.com – Life!!
Thanks for reading
Congrats and thank ya for the nomination. 🙂
Really enjoyed reading your responses and thank you for the nomination – very humbled. 🙂
I’ll try to respond in the coming weeks as still catching up on the 2011 trip – crazy stuff, just have too much to write about…I have 18 posts in Draft still.
A Ghost Blogger is someone that writes blogs for other sites and paid for that work, but typically without recognition as the site brands the work under its name.
I guess the issue I have is for travel writers to write intimately about a place and provide advice or tips, they should have at least travelled to that place. Many don’t and do online research then write a post – sometimes it’s regurgitation of online information or another travel writer’s work. The other issue I have is the way in which the post is written eludes to having travelled there, which isn’t being transparent /honest with the audience.
Oh that sounds awful!! How can someone write about a place having not been there? In that case I don’t think it’s appropriate at all! I’m actually quite shocked (probably naively) that this happens! Stupidly I actually thought people who travel write had been to the place they’re writing about!
That’s no problem at all! I look forward to reading those posts 😊😊
Well I used to think the same but not so…
I know a couple of bloggers personally that Ghost Blog. They get annoyed they’re not recognised for their work but then way up that they’re getting paid to write so this wins over.
I’ve been asked to Ghost Blog but even if I was interested, I don’t have time to write for others.
Also, companies email me to write 500 words and also provide photos in a post for their sites. The content must be new and not shared anywhere – all this for one link back to my blog site or sometimes just the mention of my name as the author. It’s not for me really. 😉
That’s fair enough. I don’t know enough to comment I guess. I’d only be able to write about places I’ve been though…I write because I love writing and I think it’s a great way to store memories also! I’d love to make a career out of writing but for now I’m happy writing as is, hopefully injecting some joy into people as they read 😊
Here’s my response to your award – many thanks for the nomination! 😉 https://imageearthtravel.com/2019/04/21/sunshine-blogger-award-4/
Thank you so much! Enjoyed reading it 😊
Great and thanks for nominating me back 🙂